06 October 2013

Another bag...

Ages ago I bought this sample piece that someone made (and clearly gave up on!) which I thought might make an interesting bag...


It was all done with visoflix and the animals are machine embroidered. Firstly, I raw edge stitched the trees and grass, as it was only ironed on and would not have lasted very long otherwise. 

I then squared it up and trimmed some off the top for handles, but I didn't want to take off too much. This turned out to be a bad idea! As the top was on the selvage, I had to make a big seam to get rid of that white strip, and I only allowed the handle pieces to be 3cm wide finished, so looked too thin for the size of the bag! I need a rethink on this one. May have to go to Spotlight tomorrow and try and match up some blue or maybe a contrast? Let's see what the have to offer....

The bag has now been sewn, but it needs something, maybe in the sky? A balloon, a bird, a cloud?? Now that you can only see half, it feels is a bit unbalanced. Those trees definitely need some fruit or berries, or something to liven them up, too....